Athens Metro was built by Attic Meters and ISAP (Electric Railway Athens to Piaeus). Although as Metro was opened in 1954, its origins date back to the opening of Line 1 on February 27, 1869 with a steam locomotive to link Athens with Piraeus. It’s also known as Attiko Metro
Total length of the network is 85 kms. It has 65 stations
- System Length: 37,6 km (blue line), 17.5 km (red line) and 25.7 kms (green line)
- Lines: 3 (and 5 more stations proposed)
- Stations: 61
- Website: http://www.ametro.gr/
- Operator: Statheres Sygkoinonies S.A.
- Average Ridership: 1,115,000 per day
- Start of operation: February27, 1869 (Line 1) and January 28, 2000 (Lines 2 and 3)
Athens Metro: Lines and Stations
- Line 1 green: It goes from Pireo to Kifisiá. 25,7 km length and 24 stations. It serves Pireo, Atenas y Kifisia municipalities.
A complete journey in this lines takes 51 minutes to complete. From this line you can access Pireo, Georgios Karaiskaki stadium and some other points of interest. Mobile coverage in the line. Stations: Piraeus, Kaminia, Faliro, Moschato, Ilissos, Kallithea, Tavros, Petralona, Thissio, Monastiraki, Omonoia, Victoria, Attiki, Agios Nikolaos, Kato Patissia, Agios Eleftherios, Ano Patissia, Perissos, Pefkakia, Nea Ionia, Irakleio, Psalidi, Eirini, Nerantziotissa, Maroussi, KAT, Kifissia
- Line 2 red: It goes from Anthoupoli to Elliniko. Length 17,5 km and 20 stations.
It serves Peristeri, Athens and Elliniko municipalities. From this line you can access Omonia Square, Syntagma Square and Acropolis. Journey time is 29 minutes. Average speed is 80kms/h. Stations: AnthoupoliFin, Peristeri, Agios Antonios, Sepolia, Attiki, Larissis, Metaxourgeio, Omonoia, Panepistimio, Syntagma, Akropoli, Syngrou Fix, Neos Kosmos, Agios Ioannis, Dafni, Agios Dimitrios, Ilioupoli, Alimos, Argyroupoli, Elliniko
- Line 3 blue: It goes from Egaleo to Doukíssis Plakentías and Airport Eleftherios Venizelos. Length 35 km and 21 stations.
It serves Agia Marina, Atenas, Chalandri municipalities and the airport in 50 minutes. Average speed is 90 kms/h. Stations: Agia Marina, Egaleo, Eleonas, Kerameikos, Syntagma, Evangelismos, Megaro Moussikis, Ambelokipi, Panormou, Katehaki, Ethniki Amyna, Holargos, Nomismatokopio, Agia Paraskevi, Chalandri, Doukissis Plakentias, Pallini, Paiania-Kantza, Koropi, Airport
There are several planned lines:
- Line 4 or orange line. It will link Petroupoli to Ethniki Odos. This route will be 33 kms long and will have 29 stations.
- Line 5 or blue line. It will link Fyli to Nea Elvetia.
- Line 6 or pink. It will server Amalia Fleming to Vryoni/ Perama.
- Line 7 or yellow. It will server a route between Chaidari and Poseidonos.
- Line 8 will be the brown line
Another Athens metro map
Athens Metro: Schedule and Frequency
It operates from 5:30am (line 1 from 5:00) to 12:00am. Fridays and Saturdays the last train leaves 2:00am. Trains run every 3 minutes in peak hours and 5-10 minutes in the rest of the day.
Athens Metro Rates
There are weekly and daily tickets, as well as monthly cards which also apply for all public transport in Athens. Passengers need to validate these tickets once, at the start of their first journey. The following tickets allow unlimited travel by bus, tram and train.
- Ticket for 90 minutes: 1,40€.
- Ticket for 24 hours: 4€.
- Ticket for 7 days: 14€.
- Ticket for 30 days: 45€.
Children under 6 travel free.
Seniors and younger than 18 have a reduce fare.
The tickets can be purchase in metro stations and some other point of purchase.
Connection to Athens Airport
If you want to travel to or from the Athens International Airport you need a special 8€ ticket, it can be purchase at the metro stations or at the airport.
Line 3 (Blue line) goes to the airport. These trains can be identified because in the front you can read Αεροδρόμιο/Airport.
Athens Metro: Curious facts
The oldest line, the Line 1, was opened in 1869 like steam train between Athens and Pireo. In 1904 it was electrified. The other 2 lines were built in 2000.
Syntagma, Panepistimiou and Acropolis stations are kind of museum stations as findings and remains found during works of constructions are exhibited in this stations.
Fine for travelling without ticket is 60 times 90 minutes ticket.